Five exam techniques for IELTS Reading
1. Skim-read quickly. Try to find the main idea of each passage and of each paragraph. Don’t read all the supporting details. Ignore any unfamiliar words at this stage.
2. Identify key words. Scan the passage and the questions for words you know will be in the passage such as names of people, names of places, and dates.
3. Identify paraphrase. Look for similar meaning between what the passage says and what the question asks.
4. Manage time. Some questions will be extremely difficult so you should concentrate first on the questions that are easiest for you to answer. Take no more than 60 seconds to consider your answer before moving on to the next question.
5. Expand your vocabulary. You will find the academic module of IELTS Reading much easier if you expand your academic vocabulary. The academic word list is a great place to start.